ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Total Views: 22410 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 6 of 36 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >  Last ›

Ambrosiana - 21/05/2011 11:45 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Monoxdifly
Everything are done online? So you mean that I don't have to come to the office and send my application to them via email instead? Then how about the test? And does it mean that the book I'll have to translate is in the form of pdf which is sent via email as well?

No No... You don't have to come to their office. Just send an application email to the publisher, they'll send you a test material which you shall finish in fast and accurate way (they used to give 3 days to work on 2 pages test. I suggest you to send the test material before the last day to improve their appraisal on you)
The material is used to hard copy, which would be sent to your address after you signed the contract, which sent by email too.
Along the project, you'll be 'accompanied' by an Editor, who used to ask you sending some of your work at certain time which you both has agreed. Example: The Editor will say, "Monox, please send 20-50 pages at June 10th, then more 20-50 pages at June 20th," This technique is used to make sure the translator fulfilled his/her deadline, avoiding sks system (sistem kebut semalam), also the editor could review your work - he/she will send correction and ask you to repair your work if the editor felt something wrong on your translation...

This relation can be done through online, so you don't have to worry that it would disturb your daily activities...
Monoxdifly - 21/05/2011 10:21 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana

No No... You don't have to come to their office. Just send an application email to the publisher, they'll send you a test material which you shall finish in fast and accurate way (they used to give 3 days to work on 2 pages test. I suggest you to send the test material before the last day to improve their appraisal on you)
The material is used to hard copy, which would be sent to your address after you signed the contract, which sent by email too.
Along the project, you'll be 'accompanied' by an Editor, who used to ask you sending some of your work at certain time which you both has agreed. Example: The Editor will say, "Monox, please send 20-50 pages at June 10th, then more 20-50 pages at June 20th," This technique is used to make sure the translator fulfilled his/her deadline, avoiding sks system (sistem kebut semalam), also the editor could review your work - he/she will send correction and ask you to repair your work if the editor felt something wrong on your translation...

This relation can be done through online, so you don't have to worry that it would disturb your daily activities...

Oh, I get it now. That's why I have to have at least a bank account.
Btw, can you send me my phone number? I've gotten so many question to ask you, but since my college world and my job spend most of my leisure time, I only have few chances to visit Kaskus. Do you bother to share your phone number to me to make the communication easier? Thanks before.
Ambrosiana - 21/05/2011 10:31 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Monoxdifly
Oh, I get it now. That's why I have to have at least a bank account.
Btw, can you send me my phone number? I've gotten so many question to ask you, but since my college world and my job spend most of my leisure time, I only have few chances to visit Kaskus. Do you bother to share your phone number to me to make the communication easier? Thanks before.

cekpm
Sure... you can text me anytime... (I'm a bit slow to respond a call and I often left my mobile in silent mode. Hehehe...) or if it needs long reply, just send me an email.
Monoxdifly - 21/05/2011 10:46 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana

cekpm
Sure... you can text me anytime... (I'm a bit slow to respond a call and I often left my mobile in silent mode. Hehehe...) or if it needs long reply, just send me an email.

OK. Thanks in advance.
nengmemew - 22/05/2011 05:29 PM

hello everybody, I was applying for a subtitler (freelance) twice, and I got first reply to submit a written test which was sent by e-mail, the test is about translating a movie, they give deadline and I have sent the test to them, but there is no reply after 1 - 2 weeks, am I considered rejected?
Ambrosiana - 22/05/2011 08:46 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By nengmemew
hello everybody, I was applying for a subtitler (freelance) twice, and I got first reply to submit a written test which was sent by e-mail, the test is about translating a movie, they give deadline and I have sent the test to them, but there is no reply after 1 - 2 weeks, am I considered rejected?

I'm afraid that what's happened, nengmemew.
As far as I know, most of publishers, agencies, or senior translator received so many application mails, so it would be impossible to reply them all or giving a feedback.
They usually just give response to person whom they considered to cooperate with.
The good news is, they always keep your contact person or application letter, so there's a chance that they will contact you if they need additional translator (subtitler in your case).
So don't give up!
Keep improving your skill until one day they cannot say no to you....
moikusman - 23/05/2011 10:24 PM
Translating DVD
I recently am offered to translate a DVD about training for office. A company has bought it to train its employees & now I've got to translate it. How much should I charge them? Thanks.
Ambrosiana - 23/05/2011 10:50 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By moikusman
I recently am offered to translate a DVD about training for office. A company has bought it to train its employees & now I've got to translate it. How much should I charge them? Thanks.

According to my experience, the rate depend on client too. the work also involved two phase works, transcription and translation
Foreign client used to offer > USD 1 per minute for transcription and > USD 0.015 per word for translation
Local client used to offer > IDR 3000 per minute for transcription and > IDR 100 per word for translation.

But let's see other translators' comment
princessboy - 27/05/2011 04:16 PM

anyone want to help me translate english..?

ilovekaskus
Ambrosiana - 27/05/2011 05:34 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By princessboy
anyone want to help me translate english..?

ilovekaskus

Try here: Permintaan Bantuan Terjemahan
Don't forget to read the rule there first, pal....
deepoceanblue - 28/05/2011 07:42 PM

soo.. anyone passed their UKP test?
i didn't Peace: only having a one way certification is bugging me.. oh well...
Ambrosiana - 28/05/2011 08:32 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By deepoceanblue
soo.. anyone passed their UKP test?
i didn't Peace: only having a one way certification is bugging me.. oh well...

I haven't either. I intend to do that one day...

If you want to register, it cost IDR 600.000 for one pair language.
p1nk3d_books - 30/05/2011 03:22 PM

Have just heard a good news. Our dear friend, sis mu99le has passed the UKP test (i hope it's the correct way to call it) and she is officially a sworn translator now! \D/
Ambrosiana - 30/05/2011 07:40 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By p1nk3d_books
Have just heard a good news. Our dear friend, sis mu99le has passed the UKP test (i hope it's the correct way to call it) and she is officially a sworn translator now! \D/

Well, Honestly I don't know her personally.
But certainly I respect all translators in Kaskus Area. Moreover, the one with such achievement...

:selamat :selamat :selamat
How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
:selamat

Feel free to drop by and share your experience. There must be many things we can learn from you, Sis Mu99le...
cupuimut - 30/05/2011 09:29 PM

Wow. It's kinda a treasure that I found this thread. Been joining Kaskus for years but I never came to English area. @_@

Anyway, I'm a translator too, but I'm a naughty translator. berduka
I translate fiction novels and I'm thinking in adding my experience in translating. I mean, I want to be able to translate many more kinds of documents, not just fiction novel. I have a job now, but it's totally unrelated at all with language/art, the job does not need a translator in its world. But if I have a name card and put 'Translator' as the job, is it okay? Because I think I need to promote myself more.
Ambrosiana - 30/05/2011 10:23 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By cupuimut
Wow. It's kinda a treasure that I found this thread. Been joining Kaskus for years but I never came to English area. @_@

Anyway, I'm a translator too, but I'm a naughty translator. berduka
I translate fiction novels and I'm thinking in adding my experience in translating. I mean, I want to be able to translate many more kinds of documents, not just fiction novel. I have a job now, but it's totally unrelated at all with language/art, the job does not need a translator in its world. But if I have a name card and put 'Translator' as the job, is it okay? Because I think I need to promote myself more.

Waaa, your words made me proud since I'm the thread starter.... Thank you very much... I'm glad if you can have benefits from the thread...

Nice to meet you Sis.
shakehand
Certainly I'm really glad to meet people from similar profession.

Actually translator is a flexible profession. We can freely work on another institution while still translating.
I have some friends who succeed in two profession (translating while running on other occupation), and also some friends who succeed in translation only.
I know a translator who lives in Malang, Mrs. Diantini, who also a lecturer in Psychology Major. She loves her profession as lecturer, eventhough she admits that translating books gave her more money than lecture's salary.
In other case, Mr. Ahnan Alex, one of my translator colleague from Pasuruan, resigned from his previous job as teacher and lecturer to be full-time translator. He has just finished his building house which he proudly built from translation's income.

So, in my opinion, all your choice can bring you to success, as long as you do it with love and passion...

Certainly I also support your decision to put 'translator' as profession in your name card.
:thumbup

One more thing. Feel free to give some personal tips in translating.

[COLOR="White"]Actually I made this thread so I can steal other translator's knowledge for myself. Khukhukhukhu....[/COLOR]
cupuimut - 31/05/2011 12:54 AM

Thanks for the good response D

Um, since I am a naughty translator hahaha, all I can advice is, be strict to yourself when it comes to translating. Finish your job fast and accurate, that way, your professionalism will shine. *what am I typing? --"*

When translating, try not to be distracted to other things that aren't necessary (such as opening Facebook or Kaskus---forgive me admins xD ) and keep building the mood for translating your documents.

Oh, wait.. I haven't done what I have written previously.. *runs back to her translating job*
Ambrosiana - 31/05/2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Um, since I am a naughty translator hahaha, all I can advice is, be strict to yourself when it comes to translating. Finish your job fast and accurate, that way, your professionalism will shine. *what am I typing? --"*

When translating, try not to be distracted to other things that aren't necessary (such as opening Facebook or Kaskus---forgive me admins xD ) and keep building the mood for translating your documents.

Oh, wait.. I haven't done what I have written previously.. *runs back to her translating job*

:thumbup
Sweet tips, Sis.
I've copied them into first page.
Hope you love to share here...
Thank you so much...
Caesarkonyol - 31/05/2011 12:02 PM

its was nice thread i have ever seen..
keep posting guys!!shakehand
Loyz.D - 31/05/2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Hehe....That's what I always do while finishing my translating jobs...
Cannot resist the temptation... malu
Page 6 of 36 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)