ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Total Views: 22410 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 8 of 36 | ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >  Last ›

b4byb1rd - 03/06/2011 01:49 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Loyz.D
In addition to the information given by Ambrosiana, you might also become one of the freelance translators for a post-production house.

ps: IMHO, the payment is not that great though if you get the job via post-production house ... p
Nevertheless, they will always have a job for you.

Pay isnt a problem, mate..got a contact for me?
Monoxdifly - 03/06/2011 02:10 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana

Hyahaha... Alright... It's not translation tip, but a bit management tips.
* Try to find network. You should find senior translator near your region, then visit him/her just to introduce yourself and ask for some tips. According to my experience, successful people glad to share their experience, moreover translator. The other benefit is, the person would know you as translator, and I'm sure when the person has some project in the future, he/she will consider to involve you in. It would improve your chance to get translation project.
* No matter how much your income, everytime you get some money, set aside 10% of them as savings. Don't ever try to use the savings. Forget that you have them, you'll get used to it.... If it has reached IDR 500.000, you can register to BCA. The good news is, after you register, you can draw your money back through ATM. Khukhukhu.... But don't do it! It's an investment.
* After you get an account, try to get project online.

The '10% method' is really useful for me. I used them as investment. After it reached certain amount, I bought 24k gold for investment. Recently you need about IDR 2.300.000 to get 5 grams of the gold. It's good for investment since it's certainly cheaper than property, and the price won't fall. When you need extra cash, you'll find the price raise higher than Bank's interest.
For your information, BCA cost IDR 10.000 each month, and to make your interest equal with the monthly administration cost, you need to save IDR 10.000.000. So gold is better for investment.

Unfortunately translator is not a well-known job, so finding a senior will be quite hard.
OK, I'll try to save my money later, though it may take about 6 months until I can register in BCA.
Ambrosiana - 03/06/2011 03:24 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Monoxdifly
Unfortunately translator is not a well-known job, so finding a senior will be quite hard.
OK, I'll try to save my money later, though it may take about 6 months until I can register in BCA.

Aah, don't worry. It won't be that long....
R.H.E.P - 03/06/2011 08:48 PM

i am interested to be a translator because i am an english department student but my skill still not enough to be a professional , so that i need help from you guys for developing my skill ... \)
Ambrosiana - 03/06/2011 10:31 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By R.H.E.P
i am interested to be a translator because i am an english department student but my skill still not enough to be a professional , so that i need help from you guys for developing my skill ... \)

Hmm, there's no better way to raise your skill than experience...
Try to find job as in-house translator in translator agency or Computer rental / Internet Cafe who offered translation service...
Working on those places wouldn't need any certificate, while you can develop your skill. There you can also have guidance from translator who is more expert than you on that place.
I hope you can be succeed on your interest to be translator...
How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
el_stup1do - 04/06/2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Try to find job as in-house translator in translator agency or Computer rental / Internet Cafe who offered translation service...
Working on those places wouldn't need any certificate, while you can develop your skill. There you can also have guidance from translator who is more expert than you on that place.

I'm guessing in this business, most of the jobs and opportunities are spread through personal reference and word of mouth instead of the traditional route.
Ambrosiana - 04/06/2011 10:04 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By el_stup1do
I'm guessing in this business, most of the jobs and opportunities are spread through personal reference and word of mouth instead of the traditional route.

Waw, Mod Stu dropped by here...
:matabelo

That's definitely true... But problem for beginner translators is: They could not determine their own work. So it would be better to cooperate with Senior translator so the beginner translator can get some kind of tuition related with their work.
Beside, the senior translator's name would give additional reputation to the new translator.

One of my translator colleague, Rahmad Ibrahim from Semarang, once worked on a project with Eddie R. Notowidigdo, chief of Association of Indonesian Translators (HPI)... After that, he just introduced himself like this, "Um, yeah, I once worked a project with Mr. Eddie R. Notowidigdo,"
The client would pass the conversation into rate negotiation, never asked again about experience.

So, it's true if the jobs and opportunities are spread through personal reference, but we can also create that kind opportunities. Hehe...
Monoxdifly - 04/06/2011 10:18 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By R.H.E.P

It's okay. I'm a translator even though I'm not from English department but Mathematics instead. And translating will develop your skill as well.

Quote:

Agree with this one.
Unfortunately, even though I'm the last one joined among all translator at my workplace, I get appropriated to do the job since other translators are busy on their thesis. So, I can't even ask for guidance to them and ask it on this subforum instead.

Quote:
Original Posted By el_stup1do

What do you mean by "traditional route", mod?
el_stup1do - 04/06/2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Well you know, put an ad out there looking for a translator, have an interview, take a look at their portfolio or give them a short task to assess their ability, etc etc.

Totally different from what Ambro said where a simple "I've worked for/with such and such" is pretty much all the credentials you need.
Ambrosiana - 04/06/2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

He meant 'traditional route' of marketing: advertising, offer your service, etc.
Monoxdifly - 04/06/2011 11:22 AM

Oh, I guess you're right, mod. It almost never goes by traditional route.
Loyz.D - 05/06/2011 03:34 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By b4byb1rd
Pay isnt a problem, mate..got a contact for me?

Since I don't know whether sharing a contact for applying a job is permitted or not, I have sent the info you requested via PM.

p.s.: do not tell them my opinion about the payment, o.k.? D
PrinceLaharl - 06/06/2011 01:23 PM

I thought i dropped by to give a few thoughts about this whole translator thingy..

to be a translator, first you have to ask yourself, are you qualified to be a translator? are you good enough to translate perfectly, flawless, with zero mistakes? because if you do with for money, its all about professionalism. its not the translation thread in EF when you make few mistakes others will kindly correct your translation. your clients will demand perfection in your jobs. and if translation service become more important in the future and more people become a translator, there should be a certification for translators. there should be something like a short course or a test for it, and if they pass it, not only they will be a qualified translator, but also a certified translator..

and don't forget to be a translator, you have to understand about the thing you are translating. so you must have an expert in your team. if you are translating a law document, you must have a law expert in your team. or if you are translating an engineering module, you must have an engineering expert in your team. otherwise you won't get a good result. i.e i would bet my whole live savings that no one will be able to translate Christie J Geankoplis : Transport Processes and Unit Operations if they have never studied Chemical Engineering before..

my point is, maybe its not hard to be a translator if you are used to use English, but its a lot harder to be a good translator, not to mention a professional translator..

Just my two cent.. \)
Ambrosiana - 06/06/2011 04:19 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By PrinceLaharl
I thought i dropped by to give a few thoughts about this whole translator thingy..

Just my two cent.. \)

:2thumbup
Nice tips, Bro!
Made me once again reviewing myself as translator. It's true that translators should master their job perfectly... In Australia, translator is a profession which got recognition from government, stands in one row with lawyer, notary, therapist, etc. To be a translator in Australia, we should pass certain test, and people who did the work without legal permission, would be considered as law violators... but I wonder it can be applied here formally...

As far as I know, there are many translators focused on certain field. Example: Sis P1nk, certainly qualified for literature translation, deepoceanblue and jchristie are experts on document translation, FrozenFlame has undoubtful skill in translating manga...
Specifying your field certainly give us additional value and quality on that field... At last, about professionalism and quality, it would be depended on our client to determine it...

Ingin mengaplikasikan dan meningkatkan kemampuan berbahasa Inggris?
Kunjungi Kaskus English Forum
PrinceLaharl - 07/06/2011 12:31 AM

oh and one more thing,, there is this one big threat to all translator,, and that threat is called technology.. we all know that the existing translation softwares now still can't translate one full sentence perfectly, but with the development of similar softwares with the right algorithm, a huge database, etc, there's a good chance that there will be a perfect translation software in the near future.. so are you ready to face this threat?

again, just my two cents
chrizpatih - 07/06/2011 12:07 PM

Quote:
oh and one more thing,, there is this one big threat to all translator,, and that threat is called technology.. we all know that the existing translation softwares now still can't translate one full sentence perfectly, but with the development of similar softwares with the right algorithm, a huge database, etc, there's a good chance that there will be a perfect translation software in the near future.. so are you ready to face this threat?

again, just my two cents

You may have a point.
However don't forget that most programs, even though they can detect the smallest change in sentence structure and translates it into a "grammatically correct" sentence, doesn't mean that they can replicate the same "taste" of human translators.
If I may compare myself to any kinds of language translation program, they lack one thing in common, that is the ability to express "feelings" into the translated work. So in short, human made literature are often meant to be translated by human only. D
Time to break the ice, I think with translators like Google Translate in present time will indicate the future of language translation programs... D

To the thread starter.
Damn nice thread indeed, thank you for the post!
Ambrosiana - 07/06/2011 01:47 PM

Quote:

again, just my two cents

Quote:
Original Posted By chrizpatih
You may have a point.
However don't forget that most programs, even though they can detect the smallest change in sentence structure and translates it into a "grammatically correct" sentence, doesn't mean that they can replicate the same "taste" of human translators.
If I may compare myself to any kinds of language translation program, they lack one thing in common, that is the ability to express "feelings" into the translated work. So in short, human made literature are often meant to be translated by human only. D
Time to break the ice, I think with translators like Google Translate in present time will indicate the future of language translation programs... D

To the thread starter.
Damn nice thread indeed, thank you for the post!

Hmm, your explanation made sense, PrinceLaharl...
Discussion about machine translation happened often whether in Foreign translators forum or in Bahtera - Indonesia Translators forum.
As what said by Chriz, "they lack one thing in common, that is the ability to express "feelings" into the translated work". This sentence was also admitted by all translators.
The recent technology still could not be compared with translator's sense of translation...

It reminds me about the story about Google's ambition...
If you read "The Shallows" by Nicholas Carr, you'll find out a story that one of Google's ambition is creating AI which able to think independently by programming it through various algorithm, large data input, etc.
Nicholas Carr provided reason why it won't be succeed, at least in the near time:
Quote:

It's also a fallacy to think that the physical brain and the thinking mind exist as separate layers in a precisely engineered "architecture." The brain and the mind, the neuroplasticity pioneers have shown, are exquisitely intertwined, each shaping the other. As Ari Schulman wrote in "Why Minds Are Not Like Computers," a 2009 New Atlantis article, "Every indication is that, rather than a neatly separable hierarchy like a computer, the mind is a tangled hierarchy of organization and causation. Changes in the mind cause changes in the brain, and vice versa." To create a computer model of the brain that would accurately simulate the mind would require the replication of "every level of the brain that affects and is affected by the mind. Since we're nowhere near disentangling the brain's hierarchy, much less understanding how its levels act and interact, the fabrication of an artificial mind is likely to remain an aspiration for generations to come, if not forever.

The similar things also happened to translation I think. It related with feeling-touch, and could not easily be done by any machine....
So don't worry translators... At least your profession would be safe for now....

for Chriz,
I never see you before... Thank you for appreciating my thread...
Glad to see you join here...
Feel free to contribute some tips about translation. I will put it into the index on the first page...
cupuimut - 07/06/2011 07:37 PM
calamity dealso
Translator fellas, I wonder if any of you have an acquaintance who works as video editor/subtitler? I wanted to study a certain software for subtitling, but the software isn't available on the internet. Anyone can help me getting in touch with someone?

Thank you.
Ambrosiana - 08/06/2011 04:01 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By cupuimut
Translator fellas, I wonder if any of you have an acquaintance who works as video editor/subtitler? I wanted to study a certain software for subtitling, but the software isn't available on the internet. Anyone can help me getting in touch with someone?

Thank you.

Sis cupuimut,
Unfortunately I don't have any idea about who can help you with the subtitling software.
But this morning, I've just received a letter from HPI, which told that there will be a gathering with "Movie Text Translation" as the main theme. Since I saw that non-members allowed to come, if you have interest to join the gathering, you can contact HPI.
I think it would be useful to improve your insight in movie translation.
Here I also quoted the letter.

Quote:

Rekan-rekan yang baik,

Dengan gembira kami beritahukan bahwa kami akan menggelar acara Temu HPI Komp@K berikutnya yang kali ini berjudul: DIBALIK LAYAR LEBAR : PENERJEMAHAN TEKS FILM.

Acara tersebut akan diselenggarakan pada:

Hari/Tanggal : Sabtu, 18 Juni 2011
Waktu : 08.30 – 14.00

Acara :

08.30 – 09.00 : Pendaftaran

09.00 – 12:00 : Gelar Wicara (“Talk show”)/Tanya Jawab/Kuis

12.00 – !4.00 : Makan siang dan ramah tamah

Tempat : Ruang Serambi, Gedung Salihara

: Jalan Salihara No. 16

: Pejaten, Pasar Minggu, Jakarta Selatan

Acara ini terbuka untuk anggota HPI/Non-HPI, komunitas penerjemah, serta siapa saja yang ingin memperluas wawasan dan ingin mendapatkan informasi mengenai penerjemahan teks film dari berbagai sudut pandang (editor, penerjemah, pemerhati).

Narasumber:
Penerjemah/editor teks film -- Ibu Muninggar dan Bapak Firman

Seorang pemerhati film yang telah sangat dikenal

Seorang penerjemah teks film yang siap menjawab semua pertanyaan Anda

Pembawa acara -- Handewi Pramesti

Jangan lewatkan acara yang dapat memperluas wawasan Anda dan sekaligus memperluas jejaring sosial Anda. Jangan lupa membawa kartu nama! Terdapat juga beberapa hadiah yang dapat Anda menangkan.

Nah, tunggu apa lagi? Segera daftarkan nama Anda melalu surel ke [email]sekretariat@hpi.or.id[/email]

Biaya kehadiran:
*Non-HPI: Rp 120.000,-
*Anggota HPI: Rp 100.000,-

Biaya kehadiran harap ditransfer ke rekening di bawah ini sebelum hari Selasa,14 Juni 2011 dan Mohon mengirimkan bukti transfernya.

1) Himpunan Penerjemah Indonesia
Bank Mandiri: 103-00-0515053-3, Cabang Sabang,
Jl. Kebon Sirih No. 72. Jakarta

ATAU

2) Nelce Manoppo, Bendahara HPI
BCA: 436 163 0071, KCP Tebet Barat, Jakarta

Jangan sampai ketinggalan! Segera daftarkan nama Anda karena jumlah peserta kami batasi hanya sampai 80 orang saja.

Ayo cepat… siapa cepat, dia dapat…

Sampai jumpa di acara Temu HPI Komp@K.

Salam Komp@K,

Susan Kumaat

Sie Kegiatan

If anyone have interest to come, feel free to contact HPI too, as stated on the letter...
alexa.ambrosini - 09/06/2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Sis cupuimut,
Unfortunately I don't have any idea about who can help you with the subtitling software.
But this morning, I've just received a letter from HPI, which told that there will be a gathering with "Movie Text Translation" as the main theme. Since I saw that non-members allowed to come, if you have interest to join the gathering, you can contact HPI.
I think it would be useful to improve your insight in movie translation.
Here I also quoted the letter.

If anyone have interest to come, feel free to contact HPI too, as stated on the letter...

of topic gan but it's nice to know you.
Page 8 of 36 | ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)