ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
Total Views: 22410 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 9 of 36 | ‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >  Last ›

LesyaRachel - 13/06/2011 03:03 AM

Oh this is one of things that I want to do in my life! Being a translator! =D
But I'm wondering whether I can be an exceptionally good translator or not, since I don't study English Literature as a major in Uni. FYI, I'm in International Business major right now. Well, maybe I'm just gonna give it a shot D

Anyway, it's a really inspiring thread & thx for posting it!
loc - 13/06/2011 05:44 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By LesyaRachel
But I'm wondering whether I can be an exceptionally good translator or not, since I don't study English Literature as a major in Uni. FYI, I'm in International Business major right now. Well, maybe I'm just gonna give it a shot D

i'd say go right ahead! i was an accounting major myself and i took the plunge D you won't know how good (or bad :amazed\) you are (or can be) until your clients see your work, right? cool: (i'm in no way saying that i'm a good translator; that's for others to judge \))
Monoxdifly - 13/06/2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Original Posted By loc
i'd say go right ahead! i was an accounting major myself and i took the plunge D you won't know how good (or bad :amazed\) you are (or can be) until your clients see your work, right? cool: (i'm in no way saying that i'm a good translator; that's for others to judge \))

Same here. I'm studying Mathematics Education as a major in my college, yet I still encouraged my self to be a translator. And there's something which makes me more confident about it: there are several clients in my workplace who take English education as a major yet they still translate anything using Google Translate without even editing it! That means they don't even better than us who don't rely much on translating application (other than "standard" dictionary and glossary application). I don't want to be so proud of myself but that is the fact. So, be confident and don't feel inferior! \)
Ambrosiana - 13/06/2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Thank you very much for your appreciation...
How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)
As you can see, some of our translator friends were not from English Major in College.
From Kaskus, I can mention loc and Monox... Special for loc - He even taught English to foreigners... hammer:
It's not gossip... It's fact... Ask him...
So, the important thing is your love and interest in translation world and your spirit spirit to learn...
Quote:
Original Posted By loc

Paduka terlalu rendah hati deh!...
You're eldest of the eldest in English...
Quote:
Original Posted By Monoxdifly
Same here. I'm studying Mathematics Education as a major in my college, yet I still encouraged my self to be a translator. And there's something which makes me more confident about it: there are several clients in my workplace who take English education as a major yet they still translate anything using Google Translate without even editing it! That means they don't even better than us who don't rely much on translating application (other than "standard" dictionary and glossary application). I don't want to be so proud of myself but that is the fact. So, be confident and don't feel inferior! \)

Yup! You should proud of yourself... I can see your effort in doing translation works and I appreciate it much...
:2thumbup
Some best translators from Indonesia even didn't came from English Major.
Ivan Lanin - Man who responsible for Wikipedia localization - came from Engineering Major
Sofia Mansoor - The founder of Bahtera, honorable member of HPI - spent her college time in ITB
Ade Indarta - Chief Editor in a precious Translation Agency at Singapore - came from Engineering Major

So, your education background is completely not as important as your love in translation world
Monoxdifly - 13/06/2011 11:00 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Ambrosiana

Special for loc - He even taught English to foreigners... hammer:

Yup! You should proud of yourself... I can see your effort in doing translation works and I appreciate it much...
:2thumbup

Wh... What... What??? He taught English to foreigners? Wow... He must be a great person...

Still, I'm nowhere as great as you guys since sometimes I still rely much on you, Ambro... o
loc - 13/06/2011 03:15 PM

Quote:
From Kaskus, I can mention loc and Monox... Special for loc - He even taught English to foreigners... hammer:
It's not gossip... It's fact... Ask him...

Quote:
Wh... What... What??? He taught English to foreigners?

you mean teaching english to foreign nationals like the french genit:, russians genit:, venezuelans genit: and the like? hahahaha! there's nothing great about it, really. they're just like us: some are good, some are not so great.

don't listen to ambro. he's EF's self-proclaimed Gossip Qu... i mean, King ngacir:
Ambrosiana - 13/06/2011 04:58 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By loc
you mean teaching english to foreign nationals like the french genit:, russians genit:, venezuelans genit: and the like? hahahaha! there's nothing great about it, really. they're just like us: some are good, some are not so great.

don't listen to ambro. he's EF's self-proclaimed Gossip Qu... i mean, King ngacir:

Sekali lagi Paduka terlalu merendah
What about teaching English to natives so that they can teach English in Indonesia?
(What we should call person like that?... Mahaguru?... He's above that!)
Can you confirm whether it's gossip or not?...
Khukhukhukhukhukhukhukhu....

Hmm, I deserve "Gossip Enthusiast" Title... hammer:

Btw, what do you mean by this genit: emoticon...
You made me thinking something... ummm.... slurrrrp....

What I tried to say here is loc completely correct that your academic background can be replaced by your deep passion and enthusiasm in learning English. He's the living evidence.
el_stup1do - 13/06/2011 06:51 PM

I think y'all should chip in on this thread: https://www.kaskus.co.id/showthread.php?t=9113752
Ambrosiana - 13/06/2011 07:59 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By el_stup1do
I think y'all should chip in on this thread: https://www.kaskus.co.id/showthread.php?t=9113752

Actually I have read it.
The issue has been debated from long ago in Bahtera Milis.

That's why Westerners said that Indonesian people speak English better than other Asian Nation, since we didn't absorb English into our own Language. We speak as American or British people speak. That's simple.

I think loc should put comment there...

=========================================================
Btw, I found someone posted Translator job vacancy in English Lounge. Anyone interest?...

Quote:
Original Posted By embun_pagi36
Good afternoon all... \)

I'd like to advise u of a job vacancy. My office needs a translator. U may apply ur cv if u're interested \)

Here i give u the link, in which I also posted this vacancy in JobsDB.

http://id.jobsdb.com/ID/EN/Search/Jo...000159097&sr=1

Thanks for your attention....

I have more interest to translation project if someone be kind to offer me...
Khukhukhukhukhu
loc - 13/06/2011 10:25 PM
Rated R for Inappropriate Topic
Quote:
What about teaching English to natives so that they can teach English in Indonesia?
(What we should call person like that?)

bwahahaha! that's not teaching english, my dear ambro. that's training teachers. and you can call me a 'trainer' D

Quote:
Btw, what do you mean by this genit: emoticon...
You made me thinking something... ummm.... slurrrrp....

the french, what can i say? even the language is sexy. the russians, the ladies have a certain 'eastern european' aura about them amazed: the venezuelans, hmm.. well TBH, i've only had one venezuelan female student and i find it difficult to keep eye contact with her (important when teaching!) and not look elsewhere.. hammer: you can't argue with 5 miss world and 6 miss universe titles shakehand

eh? back to the topic! mads

Quote:

that article is a joke ngakaks i chipped in anyway, though D
LesyaRachel - 14/06/2011 12:58 AM

thx guys for the motivation! Yb
I'll try it \)b

@ Ambrosiana: I love your monkeys, they're adorable lol wowcantik
el_stup1do - 14/06/2011 08:50 AM

Quote:
I'll try it \)b

Hey look at me, I'm not an English Major but I'm moderating an English Forum. So anything is possible Yb

Quote:
Original Posted By loc
bwahahaha! that's not teaching english, my dear ambro. that's training teachers. and you can call me a 'trainer' D

the french, what can i say? even the language is sexy. the russians, the ladies have a certain 'eastern european' aura about them amazed: the venezuelans, hmm.. well TBH, i've only had one venezuelan female student and i find it difficult to keep eye contact with her (important when teaching!) and not look elsewhere.. hammer: you can't argue with 5 miss world and 6 miss universe titles shakehand

that article is a joke ngakaks i chipped in anyway, though D

I have yet to get down and dirty. My response would've been too long, hehehe. I just think fellow translators can give a different view. I'm a bit surprise on how the author can come up with such response even though he studied in Australia.
Monoxdifly - 14/06/2011 09:18 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By loc

I think you're definitely great because western people use English more often than Indonesian, yet you're the one who teaches them instead.
Ambrosiana - 14/06/2011 09:23 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By loc

shakehand2
Don't worry. The knowledge (about those girls) is really really important for me...
It added something to my insight...

Lucky you to know them... Hiks
Quote:
I'll try it \)bs

The monkey said thank you....
Quote:
Hey look at me, I'm not an English Major but I'm moderating an English Forum. So anything is possible Yb

I have yet to get down and dirty. My response would've been too long, hehehe. I just think fellow translators can give a different view. I'm a bit surprise on how the author can come up with such response even though he studied in Australia.

I bet if I asked: "What major?"
You'll answer, "errr... Stup1dology & Stup1ronomy..." cd

==========================================================
Haha...
You need 'hit' the thread with your sharp comment as usual....

Quote:
I think you're definitely great because western people use English more often than Indonesian, yet you're the one who teaches them instead.

loc's workfield as trainer:
* teaching natives how to teach in Indonesia
* repairing their grammar mastery before teaching
* introducing Indonesian culture to the foreigners

In a firm language is: loc taught people who used to use English so that they use English in correct way

ndrazzoholic - 14/06/2011 04:40 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By loc

the french, what can i say? even the language is sexy.

gyahaha.. I agree with you there! i live in french speaking country and hmm.. yupz.. the way the speak it.. makes me wants to start speaking it as well.. genit:

eh, btw i`m a new comer in this forum. nice to meet y`all iloveindonesias
Monoxdifly - 14/06/2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

loc's workfield as trainer:
* teaching natives how to teach in Indonesia
* repairing their grammar mastery before teaching
* introducing Indonesian culture to the foreigners

In a firm language is: loc taught people who used to use English so that they use English in correct way

Wow... That's awesome!!! Really really awesome!!!
If only there's a level system here, I think loc would be the number 1 for sure!!! \)
*And I guess he must have been a swore one, right?
sarasvathi - 14/06/2011 04:52 PM

hi everyone...
I guess I am absolutely newbie here and in kaskus of course...
I am an English Literature student and I wish I could be a good translator after I graduate,,
but still I have dilemma in my mind, as I realize although I am English student but I find my long way to reach that...
so, thank God I met all of you in this thread...
Hopefuly, I could learn much here,,
Ambrosiana - 14/06/2011 05:26 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By ndrazzoholic
gyahaha.. I agree with you there! i live in french speaking country and hmm.. yupz.. the way the speak it.. makes me wants to start speaking it as well.. genit:

eh, btw i`m a new comer in this forum. nice to meet y`all iloveindonesias

O, you're in France...
That's great. The competition of French - Indonesia Translation is not as hard as English - Indonesia. You got the point there!

One of the Bahtera Milis member, Mimi Bonetto also lives in France. She works as translator for Movie subtitle and document. She said that there are also some Translation agencies in France that needed translator who able to speak Bahasa Indonesia. I think you can try to find them there.

Quote:
Original Posted By sarasvathi
hi everyone...
I guess I am absolutely newbie here and in kaskus of course...
I am an English Literature student and I wish I could be a good translator after I graduate,,
but still I have dilemma in my mind, as I realize although I am English student but I find my long way to reach that...
so, thank God I met all of you in this thread...
Hopefuly, I could learn much here,,

Welcome, Saras.

Hey, don't be pessimistic. Some of translators I know started their career in College.
For real example:
* Sis P1nk has started to work on Novel translation when she was in College. Now she has worked 5 Novels from Gramedia, and some others from Dastan Publisher.
* Monoxdifly now is still in college but he has worked as translator in Agency near his Uni.
* I know a girl named Vindy who's still in College and has worked as translator. She has done some translation projects for School Text-Book. How did I know her?... Because she's one of my partner in doing translation projects. Khukhukhukhukhu... [COLOR="White"]and she's cute..

Beside, working as translator can be done part-time if you afraid that the job would take times. Names I mentioned above are evidence that working as translator wouldn't disturb your daily life - but you should make sure that you have good management on it.

So, encourage yourself if it's truly the profession you love!..
Feel free to PM/VM me to ask anything about translation world. I would try to give you answer as far as my knowledge allowed it...[/COLOR]
sarasvathi - 14/06/2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

O, you're in France...
That's great. The competition of French - Indonesia Translation is not as hard as English - Indonesia. You got the point there!

One of the Bahtera Milis member, Mimi Bonetto also lives in France. She works as translator for Movie subtitle and document. She said that there are also some Translation agencies in France that needed translator who able to speak Bahasa Indonesia. I think you can try to find them there.

Welcome, Saras.

Hey, don't be pessimistic. Some of translators I know started their career in College.
For real example:
* Sis P1nk has started to work on Novel translation when she was in College. Now she has worked 5 Novels from Gramedia, and some others from Dastan Publisher.
* Monoxdifly now is still in college but he has worked as translator in Agency near his Uni.
* I know a girl named Vindy who's still in College and has worked as translator. She has done some translation projects for School Text-Book. How did I know her?... Because she's one of my partner in doing translation projects. Khukhukhukhukhu... [COLOR="White"]and she's cute..

Beside, working as translator can be done part-time if you afraid that the job would take times. Names I mentioned above are evidence that working as translator wouldn't disturb your daily life - but you should make sure that you have good management on it.

So, encourage yourself if it's truly the profession you love!..
Feel free to PM/VM me to ask anything about translation world. I would try to give you answer as far as my knowledge allowed it...[/COLOR]

Yeah I think so...
I did several translation project last semester but those are free as I did it to my closed-friends...

Maybe, I should think about being a freelance translator next semester.
and don't worry I will bother you to ask this and that....D
ndrazzoholic - 14/06/2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

O, you're in France...

no mas bro .. I said i i live in french speaking country, but not in france. it is one of french colonies in pacific island ( I`ve PM you the name of the country ; ) ) and to be french-Indonesian translator is so far far away from my touch malus I`ve just started to try to be an English - Indonesian translator .. and please wish me luck Yb

btw where do you get those attractive monkeys?? i want one please.. D
Page 9 of 36 | ‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > How to start working as translator (tips to enter translation world)