ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > [Writing] Improve your writing, get it revised by others
Total Views: 93507 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 2 of 161 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›

dark passenger - 16/07/2008 12:03 AM

This thread is very interesting. But it seems strange only to be correcting others' writing, especially somebody up there posted an literary excerpt. I think it'd be better if we can also share tips in improving writing, or even the basics of writing.

Fluency in English and fluency in writing are two total different subjects.
SpartanGreen - 16/07/2008 01:03 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By KIDRoach
Just an undergrad giving his best shot... \)

Been a while since I was here... army:

Not very good in English myself so I'll take corrections happilykissing:

Just my .02 \)

Kid, that was a very good correction... That was the raw copy of my essay, the revised one had all the changes that u suggested. you almost made the same exact suggestions that my professor did back then. Very well done, i am impressed \). Where did u learn critical writing from?

Wanna see another passage?

@dark passenger
that passage was only meant as an exercise. It's not literary excerpt, it's my own writing, hence it's not perfect. I know that there are mistakes on it, it's only a first draft. I compared it to my revised draft to check how many ppl managed to catch my mistakes. It's intended to help people make revision and to recognize mistake when they see one. And besides KIDRoach who take a shot at correcting it did wrote some tips and suggestion.
TheRealHandsome - 18/07/2008 09:23 PM

Please check my website:

http://pandu.poluan.info/portofolio/?l=en&w=intro

I may have made some spelling and/or grammatical errors there, since I wrote all the pages in the dead of the night.

Having some glaring spelling and/or grammar errors in one's portofolio surely won't bring confidence, no?

Thx for your assistance.

\)

Edit: There's a total of 5 pages in English there, i.e., "Introduction", "Cisco Networking Academy", "TELKOM", "KODAM JAYA", and "JobITCom/NetCampus". I'd appreciate it if you'd check all 5.

Again, thx beforehand.
adirandom - 19/07/2008 12:12 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By ID*
We had this thread before, checking other people's writing.

So shall I go first? \)

Here's the text.

Despite the intensive and short period of the course, I was able to befriend with other students, especially those from Hong Kong. I am very fortunate to have taken Prof. Choi’s managerial accounting. What I’ve experienced through this course is just inexplicable. BUT, I am confident that it was an overwhelmingly positive experience.

Feel free to edit.

OK. You're version is quite remarkable.

My version:

Despite the intensive and short period of the course, I managed to befriend other students, especially those from Hong Kong. I am very lucky to have taken Prof. Choi's managerial accounting class. What I've experienced through that course is inexplicable. However, I am confident that it was an overwhelmingly positive experience.

Managed: shows that in a difficult situation, you can still do something else.

Befriend other students: the definition of "befriend" is "become friend with".

Lucky: "fortunate" is alright, but I like "lucky" better. Fortunate is not a common word when people want to describe how lucky they are. It even sounds funny to some people.

Managerial accounting class: "managerial accounting" is not enough, I think.

That: describes a noun that is not around you, out of the reach of your senses, far away from you, etc...you get the point.

However: you cannot use "but" in the beginning of a sentence.
KIDRoach - 21/07/2008 08:38 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By SpartanGreen
Kid, that was a very good correction... That was the raw copy of my essay, the revised one had all the changes that u suggested. you almost made the same exact suggestions that my professor did back then. Very well done, i am impressed \). Where did u learn critical writing from?

Wanna see another passage?

Sure. Then again, I don't login here too often anymore... \(

Quote:
Original Posted By TheRealHandsome
Please check my website:

http://pandu.poluan.info/portofolio/?l=en&w=intro

I may have made some spelling and/or grammatical errors there, since I wrote all the pages in the dead of the night.

Having some glaring spelling and/or grammar errors in one's portofolio surely won't bring confidence, no?

Thx for your assistance.

\)

Edit: There's a total of 5 pages in English there, i.e., "Introduction", "Cisco Networking Academy", "TELKOM", "KODAM JAYA", and "JobITCom/NetCampus". I'd appreciate it if you'd check all 5.

Again, thx beforehand.

confused: Another clone? D
SEVENPOINT7 - 23/07/2008 12:22 AM

The secret of mind
=====
There are so many things we don’t know well about our mind. In generally, we use our mind for thinking about all we want. Sometimes we use it for find the way out of our problems and solve it, remember everything in past, or dreaming what we want in the future. In fact, our mind has many secret that we don’t know until this day.

In some research about brain and mind, the researchers are finding a surprising fact. That is about when a people will be died, the last activity in his body is happening in his brain not in his heart. As we know the heart is the key of the life and when our heart is stop beating, we will die. But know we have to change that fact with when our mind is stop thinking about anything, that’s means we were die.

Ok let’s go to find out for another nice fact about our key of life, that is our mind. Maybe for some people, this fact likes an opinion. I don’t care about it, I just want to share it to anyone who reads it. We usually use our mind for thinking about something, maybe it is about a good thing or sometimes for a bad thing. If you are using your mind hardly for thinking about one thing, “tanpa kita sadari” it will be happening in the future. I will give an example here. All the people want to be a success person. But only half of it has a faith that they will be a great man in the future. In this case we can explain it in logic. When our mind starts thinking about a good future, “tanpa kita sadari” our body, our spirit, and our faith are growing up. They will appear to help us to solve every problem that we have. You will feel more confident. So you can through easily and see the bright future then.

Please correct my english. Thanks.
TheRealHandsome - 23/07/2008 12:26 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By KIDRoach
confused: Another clone? D

pepoluan, The Handsome, TheRealHandsome...

We're a very happy big handsome family D

Now, corrections? Please?
boladela - 23/07/2008 03:29 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By SEVENPOINT7
The secret of mind
=====
There are so many things we don’t know well about our mind. In generally, we use our mind for thinking about all we want. Sometimes we use it for find the way out of our problems and solve it, remember everything in past, or dreaming what we want in the future. In fact, our mind has many secret that we don’t know until this day.

In some research about brain and mind, the researchers are finding a surprising fact. That is about when a people will be died, the last activity in his body is happening in his brain not in his heart. As we know, the heart is the key of the life and when our heart is stop beating, we will die. But know we have to change that fact with when our mind is stop thinking about anything, that’s means we were die.

Ok let’s go to find out for another nice fact about our key of life, that is our mind. Maybe for some people, this fact likes an opinion. I don’t care about it, I just want to share it to anyone who reads it. We usually use our mind for thinking about something, maybe it is about a good thing or sometimes for a bad thing. If you are using your mind hardly for thinking about one thing, “tanpa kita sadari” it will be happening in the future. I will give an example here. All the people want to be a success person. But only half of it has a faith that they will be a great man in the future. In this case we can explain it in logic. When our mind starts thinking about a good future, “tanpa kita sadari” our body, our spirit, and our faith are growing up. They will appear to help us to solve every problem that we have. You will feel more confident. So you can through easily and see the bright future then.

I'm trying to retain your writing style, so I'll merely correct grammatical errors and replace some words \)

There are so many things we don’t comprehend well about our minds. In general, we use our minds to think as we please. Sometimes we use it to find ways out of our problems and solve them; recall the past; or to dream of what we want in the future. In fact, our minds have many secrets that we don’t know even till this day.

In some researches on the brain and the mind, the researchers discovered a surprising fact. When a person is dying, the last activity in his body occurs within his brain, not within his heart. As we understood previously, the heart is the key to life and when our hearts stops beating, we will die. However, we now have to replace that knowledge with the fact that when our minds stop thinking about anything, then we die.

Ok, let’s find out another interesting trivia on our key to life, that is the mind. Maybe for some, this piece of information reads like a personal opinion. I don’t care about it, I just want to share it with anyone who reads it. We usually use our minds to think about something, be it a good thing or at times a bad one. If you are using your mind hard enough to think of one thing, before we know it, it will happen in the future. I will give an example here. Everyone wants to be a successful person. Yet, only half of them have faith that they will be great in the future. In this case, we can explain it logically. When our minds start thinking of a good future, subconsciously, our bodies, our spirits, and our faith develop accordingly. They will seemingly help us solve every problem that we may have. You will feel more confident, so that you can overcome challenges easily and consequently see the bright future.
SEVENPOINT7 - 23/07/2008 06:15 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By boladela
I'm trying to retain your writing style, so I'll merely correct grammatical errors and replace some words \)

There are so many things we don’t comprehend well about our minds. In general, we use our minds to think as we please. Sometimes we use it to find ways out of our problems and solve them; recall the past; or to dream of what we want in the future. In fact, our minds have many secrets that we don’t know even till this day.

In some researches on the brain and the mind, the researchers discovered a surprising fact. When a person is dying, the last activity in his body occurs within his brain, not within his heart. As we understood previously, the heart is the key to life and when our hearts stops beating, we will die. However, we now have to replace that knowledge with the fact that when our minds stop thinking about anything, then we die.

Ok, let’s find out another interesting trivia on our key to life, that is the mind. Maybe for some, this piece of information reads like a personal opinion. I don’t care about it, I just want to share it with anyone who reads it. We usually use our minds to think about something, be it a good thing or at times a bad one. If you are using your mind hard enough to think of one thing, before we know it, it will happen in the future. I will give an example here. Everyone wants to be a successful person. Yet, only half of them have faith that they will be great in the future. In this case, we can explain it logically. When our minds start thinking of a good future, subconsciously, our bodies, our spirits, and our faith develop accordingly. They will seemingly help us solve every problem that we may have. You will feel more confident, so that you can overcome challenges easily and consequently see the bright future.

hahaha i have made so many mistakes p
thanks for correct me thumbup:
moshnjack - 23/07/2008 06:37 PM

bro, this maybe this is my biggest problem, but i didnt intend to make someone get angry, but do you really think this is absolutely my false?

[quote=moshnjack] hello bro, i'm a newbie trader with low margin, i'm only just get $500, so what EA would the best for me? it's okay if i only play 1 pair, do you have recommendation on what EA,pair and TF?

what is the best EA at this time? what do you think? [/quote]

[quote=fulan] 500?
It is difficult question ...
may be StepMaExpert _v1.45, or Brainwashing from elite section ...
but anyway it will be 0.01 lot size ...
and deposit will be increasing very slowly.

I am recommending to you to look at manual trading systems.[/quote]

[quote=moshnjack] but i saw they have quite drawdowns, what about Alpha9 EA, Electra EA, trend envelope and goldwarrior, i saw they have better performances.

okay, tha'ts about EA, so what manual system do you recommend me?

thank you for replying... [/quote]

[quote=fulan] StepMaExpert _v1.45, or Brainwashing?
No, no any big DD.
Normal one.

Alpha and electra is not for your deposit size.

goldwarrior ... stop loss = 100.
0.01 lot size only for your deposit.

trend envelope from well-working thread? They are MTF EAs. No any MTF EAs for your deposit size. Because of big DD.

As to manual systems so I am using BrainTrading M30 and channel trading systems sometimes for M5.
I also using Ichimoku from elite section but it is only when I have 3,000 deposit (i have small deposit now sorry).[/quote]

[quote=moshnjack]
i see, what is DD anyway? so for the EA you're recommending StepMaExpert _v1.45 and Brainwashing, and for manual system you recommending rainTrading M30 and channel trading systems.

waw, are you serious, i thought you guys profesional trader have a much lot of margins, are you diversifying your fund?

and, how bout if i use newstrader with your calendar setting? does that high risk?

thank your for your attention[/quote]

[quote=fulan]
I recommended BrainTrading and channel because I am trading it for the long time for demo and with real money.

How many systems did you trade with real money? And how many systems can you recommend?
If you did not trade some system so how can you recommend it?

As to Brainwashing EAs. Most low DD for H4 timeframe. Did you see the statements?
I traded Brainwashing manually with real money for few months posting the statements in public. This system can be used even with 500 dollars.
But I will not like it because the profit will be increased slowly.

Everybody likes to increase 500 dollars deposit in 2 times for 1 months so sorry I do not have it

As to Step 1.45 - profitable for GBPUSD. Most reliable amongst Step EAs.

Any EAs are having positive and negative side.
Negative sides for Step EAs: performance is different for different brokers.

You asked, I replies ... so what are you angry for?

You can use any EAs you want because it is your money and your money is not my money!

About "professional" or any ...
how you can ask about Alpha EA if you are having 500 dollars only?
Alpha EA is having big DD by definition. By coding. This EA is not for 500 dollars deposit and you know it.
So, why did you ask about Alpha?

I do not have time.
I am moderating the forum, doing calendar and making elite section.
So, please ...
you asked ... i replied...[/quote]

huhuhuh, whre did my fault to make this guy upset \(
little88 - 23/07/2008 07:05 PM

Hahahaha
TheRealHandsome - 23/07/2008 07:19 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By moshnjack
bro, this maybe this is my biggest problem, but i didnt intend to make someone get angry, but do you really think this is absolutely my false?

huhuhuh, whre did my fault to make this guy upset \(

Yes, it's your fault. Why must you use boldfaced posting?

That's equivalent to writing in ALL CAPS, i.e., online's equivalent to SHOUTING, especially since your prior posts weren't in boldface.
Rising Flames - 23/07/2008 09:11 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By ID*
We had this thread before, checking other people's writing.

So shall I go first? \)

Here's the text.

Despite the intensive and short period of the course, I was able to befriend with other students, especially those from Hong Kong. I am very fortunate to have taken Prof. Choi’s managerial accounting classes. What I’ve experienced through this course is just inexplicable. BUT, I am confident that it was an overwhelmingly positive experience.

Feel free to edit.

this is how i'd put it :
Despite the short and intensive period of the course, I was able to befriend other students, especially those from Hong Kong. I was fortunate to have taken Prof. Choi's managerial accounting. My experience from taking this course is simply inexplicable. But I am confident, that this experience is overwhelmingly positive

ps: notice how i switched the places of the word 'short' and 'intensive', but hey, that's just me

Quote:
The secret of mind
=====

In some research about brain and mind, the researchers are finding a surprising fact. That is about when a people will be died, the last activity in his body is happening in his brain not in his heart. As we know the heart is the key of the life and when our heart is stop beating, we will die. But know we have to change that fact with when our mind is stop thinking about anything, that’s means we were die.

There are so many things we have yet to comprehend of our mind. In general, we only use our brain to think what we want to think about. Sometimes we use it for problem solving, other times we use it to reminisce the past or even for dreaming about the future. But in fact, there are many secrets to our mind that nobody has figured out yet.

After researching about the brain and mind, researchers have found a surprising fact. When a person is going to die, the brain is the last organ to act, even after the heart stops beating. People say that the heart is the key to life, meaning that if our heart stops beating then we die. But this research has proven, when our brain stops functioning, we effectively "die".

Okay, so now we know a new fact, that our mind is the key of life. Maybe some people would only consider this fact as an opinion. Well I don't care, I just want to share this to everyone who reads it. We use our mind for thinking, may it be for something good or something bad. If you focus your mind thinking hard about something, without us realizing, it will happen in the future. I'll give an example here. Everybody wants to be successful, but there is only a part of each individual has faith in that wish. This can be explained logically. When we think of a bright future, we won't realize it, but our mind, body and soul will enhance positively. They will help us solve our problems, and it'll make you more confident, so you can see the future enshrouded in light and easily seize it.

maap y, kata2nya ad yang beda, but once again, that's just me. \)

Quote:
Yes, it's your fault. Why must you use boldfaced posting?

That's equivalent to writing in ALL CAPS, i.e., online's equivalent to SHOUTING, especially since your prior posts weren't in boldface.

the guy misunderstood, even though it was all bolded, that message didn't seem to expose any anger or anything like that. the whole point of bolding is to stress out something, but i guess he thought that moshnjack got pissed off lol
TheRealHandsome - 23/07/2008 09:15 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By Rising Flames
the guy misunderstood, even though it was all bolded, that message didn't seem to expose any anger or anything like that. the whole point of bolding is to stress out something, but i guess he thought that moshnjack got pissed off lol

Let me quote moshnjack's posting again:

i see, what is DD anyway? so for the EA you're recommending StepMaExpert _v1.45 and Brainwashing, and for manual system you recommending rainTrading M30 and channel trading systems.

waw, are you serious, i thought you guys profesional trader have a much lot of margins, are you diversifying your fund?

and, how bout if i use newstrader with your calendar setting? does that high risk?

thank your for your attention

Because moshnjack didn't use boldface in his/her prior postings, and suddenly he used boldface, the phrases I colored red above may be misconstrued as sarcasm.

OffTopic: I thought your nickname was "Rising Female", that's why I returned to this thread hammer: D
Rising Flames - 23/07/2008 09:51 PM

Quote:
Let me quote moshnjack's posting again:

thank your for your attention

Because moshnjack didn't use boldface in his/her prior postings, and suddenly he used boldface, the phrases I colored red above may be misconstrued as sarcasm.

OffTopic: I thought your nickname was "Rising Female", that's why I returned to this thread hammer: D

from what i saw above, the whole post is bolded, from my view, it means either he's stressing the whole post, or he just felt like bolding them all D

i'm a guy damnit metal: but everybody misreads stuff once in a while \)
mujiburrahman - 24/07/2008 02:15 PM

is this improving your writing in english or can it be also improving your writing in Indonesian... ?
adirandom - 24/07/2008 02:54 PM
correct my grammar please!
Ghost

A big strapping middle-aged man got off his car and approached a mansion he assumed to be a cozy tavern he might stay in. Standing courageously exactly in front of the old quiet house, he looked around a bit. He—somehow—started to feel bad when he saw someone—or something—that he might not want to see for the rest of his life. A woman-like with dark extremely-long hair was seen floating a few inches over the ground next to the big dwelling. She was staring at the terrified man with her jagged red eyes. The big man was speechlessly frozen. He realized that this phenomenon was too real to be impossible but—as well—too impossible to be real. That was his first time to feel as if his heart was taken out of his body. Fortunately, despite his abrupt unconsciousness, he managed to run away from where he had been standing for the longest time. Having got in his car, he drove away from there without looking back. Later on, he spent his entire life mostly on arguing people whose opinion was, “There is no such thing as ghosts.”
TheRealHandsome - 24/07/2008 03:25 PM

Quote:
from what i saw above, the whole post is bolded, from my view, it means either he's stressing the whole post, or he just felt like bolding them all D

Yes, I know he boldfaced all his post. What I was saying above is:

[*]mosh's prior posts did not use boldface
[*]suddenly, mosh used boldface! one asks: WTF is goin' on??
[*]the reader saw 2 sentences -- which I highlighted in red above -- and misunderstood those 2 sentences as sarcasm

Quote:
i'm a guy damnit metal: but everybody misreads stuff once in a while \)

Yes, how disappointing hammer:
b0tax - 24/07/2008 07:43 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By boladela

wow....cool
adirandom - 25/07/2008 01:18 AM

Quote:
The secret of mind
=====

Oh my God. I'm sorry, dude. There are too many grammatical mistakes. I have to be honest. First, I'm going to give you the corrections and then write my version.

Here we go.

There are so many things we don’t know well about our mind. [COLOR="Black"]In generally--either "In general" or "Generally", we use our mind for thinking about all we want. Sometimes we use it for find (finding) the way out of our problems and solve it (not necessary, solving it? what's "it"? problems? Isn't it supposed to be "them"?, remember (remembering)everything in past, or dreaming what we want in the future. In fact, our mind has many secret (many? watch plural....."secrets" that we don’t know until this day.

In some research about brain and mind, the researchers are finding (the research is done. it's supposed to be "found" a surprising fact. That is about when a people (people are plural. it's supposed to be "someone") will be died (is going to die.....you CANNOT make "die" passive verb, the last activity in his body is happening in his brain not in his heart. As we know the heart is the key of the....(scratch this one) life and when our heart is stop (stops) beating, we will die. But (scratch this! you can't put "but" in the beginning of a sentence know (maybe you mean "Now") we have to change that fact with when our mind is stop thinking about anything, that’s means we were die. (oh.....)

Ok let’s go to find out for another nice fact about our key of life, that is our mind. Maybe for some people, this fact likes an opinion. I don’t care about it, I just want to share it to anyone who reads it. We usually use our mind for thinking about something, maybe it is about a good thing or sometimes for a bad thing. If you are using your mind hardly for thinking about one thing, “tanpa kita sadari” it will be happening in the future. I will give an example here. All the people want to be a success person. But only half of it has a faith that they will be a great man in the future. In this case we can explain it in logic. When our mind starts thinking about a good future, “tanpa kita sadari” our body, our spirit, and our faith are growing up. They will appear to help us to solve every problem that we have. You will feel more confident. So you can through easily and see the bright future then.[/COLOR]........................lets just do my version.

My version:

There are so many facts we don’t know well about our mind. In general, we use our mind for thinking about all we want. Sometimes we use it for finding the way out of our problems, remembering everything in the past, or dreaming what we want in the future. In fact, our mind has many secrets that we don’t know anything about, until this day.

In some research about brain and mind, some researchers discovered a surprising fact: when someone is going to die, the last activity in his body is happening in one's brain--not in one's heart. As we all know, the heart is the key of life. "When our heart stops beating, we will die." Now, we have to change that fact. "When our mind stops thinking about something, we will die."

Let’s find out another nice fact about our new key of life, that is, our mind. Maybe for some people, the fact about our mind that I mentioned earlier, is merely a subjective opinion. I don’t care about it. I just want to share it to anyone who reads it. We usually use our mind for thinking about something--maybe it is about a good thing, or sometimes, it is about a bad thing. If you are using your mind for focusing intensively on one thing, somehow subconsciously, it will be happening in the future. I will give an example here. People want to be successful. However, only half of them have faith that they will be great in the future. There's a logical explanation for this case. When our mind starts thinking about a good future, we don't realize that our body, our spirit, and our faith are growing up, forming a new force of some sort of motivation. They will appear to help us solve every problem that we have. We will feel more confident. Therefore, we can get through the hard time easily and then, make the bright future we've always dreamed of, come true.
Page 2 of 161 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > [Writing] Improve your writing, get it revised by others