ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > [Writing] Improve your writing, get it revised by others
Total Views: 93507 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 5 of 161 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›

TheRealHandsome - 31/07/2008 08:01 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By ID*
why not correct what i wrote \)

Correcting 's writing is not my forte, I tend to rewrite whatever is being corrected. But since I am being challenged:

Quote:
Original Posted By ID*
Dear Q-ers,

Please read this document thoroughly.

New Policy for the Q.

With the new chief appointed, there will be some changes and some new systems being implemented.

First, new recruits will undergo a training period. They must remain active, show positive attitude (whatever that's supposed to mean), and work together well with the other teammembers.

Second, trainees who do not abide by the rules will not receive the Certificate of Achievement (CoA), and thus they will not become members of the Q.

The reasoning for the CoA is to spark some camaraderie between Q-ers, not solely for functional purposes, but also to depicts the attributes of members towards the community itself.

Third, the CoA will be authorized by Chief Team Manager and Supervisor of the Q. In order to receive the CoA, one must be active for two consecutive semesters, in addition to other criteria mentioned above.

Fourth, lunch gatherings shall be held during the semester. This is compulsory; we're trying to go beyond mere functional purpose of our community toward promoting mutual friendship among members.

Last, those who keep missing the meetings will be punished severely. Not by paying fines, but the punished person will have to write more for the journal.

Thank you for your understanding.

There's my take.
adirandom - 31/07/2008 11:58 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By d4n4n9
i know it brother malu:

lets try writing something here:
gisel and aris both are have good appearance and voice. the attendance so difficult to choose one between them to be the champions. They are have difference life history, although that would not give big impact.

gimana bro, my grammar has been destroyed yah : D

not just your grammar, your vocab is also destroyed. everything is such a mess. total destruction. i'm sorry to tell you that you really, really, really need to improve your grammar skill...and vocabulary. I don't mean to be rude. no offense, nothing personal.

are have = what's this???????? You can't use to be (are, is, am, was, were) with a verb (kata kerja). To be is used with adjective (kata sifat) and noun (kata benda).

Example:
The use of verb:
Rina has a beautiful face. >---- has (have) is a verb.
Budi has good intelligence. >---- has (have) is a verb.

To be with adjective:
Rina is beautiful. >---- beautiful is an adjective.
Budi is smart. >----- smart is an adjective.

To be with noun:
Rina is a beautiful girl.
Budi is a smart boy.

My version:
Both Gisel and Aris have good look and voice. The attendant finds it difficult to decide who should be the champion. They have different life histories, but that won't affect the attendant's judgment.
adirandom - 01/08/2008 12:06 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By ID*
why not correct what i wrote \)

guys, looks like somebody wants to be heard. hehehehe.....kidding bro.
ID* - 01/08/2008 05:35 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By adirandom
guys, looks like somebody wants to heard. hehehehe.....kidding bro.

i wanted to the break the chain, and i needed that attention.
the thread's deviating from the main purpose, writings' are supposed to be revised by others to improve one's writing, but it just wasnt.

hope u understand my real intention of posting such comment.
TheRealHandsome - 01/08/2008 05:43 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By ID*
i wanted to the break the chain, and i needed that attention.
the thread's deviating from the main purpose, writings' are supposed to be revised by others to improve one's writing, but it just wasnt.

hope u understand my real intention of posting such comment.

I get your drift, pal.

Sadly, this is perhaps one of very precious few threads where one can still discuss something in depth, with the true intention of bettering one's English...

Just note the other threads' topics... games, games, games, and games.

And don't get me started on the gays in the English Premiere Lounge nohope:

So, I apologize for my ... um, ventures of out-of-topic-ness... I just... don't know where else to post intelligent and deep thoughts...
ID* - 01/08/2008 06:00 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By TheRealHandsome
Correcting 's writing is not my forte, I tend to rewrite whatever is being corrected. But since I am being challenged:

There's my take.

nice try.
i sensed some grammatical mistakes.
but hey we're here to learn, no one' sperfect.
anyhow, here's my correction.
there's still more room for change.

Dear Q-ers,

Please read this document thoroughly.

New Policy for the Q.

With the new chief appointed, we will go through a slight change. There will be a few adjustments and new systems will be implemented.

First, new recruits will undergo a training period. They must remain active, show positive attitude – dedication and passion – and work well with the other team members.

Second, trainees who do not abide by the so called rules will not receive the Certificate of Achievement (CoA), and thus they will not be appointed as official members of the Q.

The reason behind the implementation of the CoA is to spark some camaraderie between Q-ers, not solely for functional purposes, but also to depict the attributes of members towards the community itself.

Third, the CoA will be authorized by the Managing team and Supervisor of the Q. In order to receive the CoA, one must be active for two consecutive semesters, in addition to other criteria mentioned above.

Fourth, lunch gatherings shall be held during the semester. This is compulsory; we're trying to go beyond mere functional purpose of our community toward promoting mutual friendship among members.

Last, those who keep missing the meetings will be punished severely. Not by paying fines, but that particular person will be assigned to write more pages for the journal.

ID* - 01/08/2008 06:03 AM
: )
Quote:
I get your drift, pal.

Sadly, this is perhaps one of very precious few threads where one can still discuss something in depth, with the true intention of bettering one's English...

So, I apologize for my ... um, ventures of out-of-topic-ness... I just... don't know where else to post intelligent and deep thoughts...

u cud always create a thread considerin those ideas.
feel free. i'll put it as sticky since it will benefit most of the Efers.
TheRealHandsome - 01/08/2008 06:09 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By ID*
u cud always create a thread considerin those ideas.
feel free. i'll put it as sticky since it will benefit most of the Efers.

Will do. Hold on...
boladela - 01/08/2008 06:50 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By ID*
Feel Free to correct this particular text

Dear all Qers,

Hope you guys have the time to actually sit down and read this
document thoroughly.

New Policy for the Q.
With the new chief on board, there will be some changes, not to mention some new systems that will be implemented.

First of all, for recruitment matters, there will be a training period for those newcomers.
The newcomers will have to remain active, show a positive attitude and work harmoniously with the rest of the members.

Secondly, the trainees who don't successfully abide by the rules successfully will not receive the certificate of achievement which proves that they were members of the Q. THe idea behind the certificate of achievement is to initiate some kind of camaraderie within the community, in addition to functional purposes; so that it also reflects the attributes of members towards the community itself.

Thirdly, concerning the certificate of achievement: the certificate will be authorized by the chief managing the team and the supervisor of the Q. In order to receive the particular certificate, one must be active for two consecutive semesters, further to fulfilling the other criteria mentioned above.

Fourthly, we will have lunch gatherings during the semester. This is compulsory, because we're trying to go beyond the functional purpose of our community to promote mutual friendship among members.

Lastly, for those who consecutively miss the meetings will be punished severely. Just to mention an example, there will be no fines imposed but the person will have to write more for the journal.

So is the purpose of this thread solely to improve one's writing grammar-wise, or would you include improvisations in style, etc? Because what I'd do is mostly edit the vocab/ grammar; not so much on altering the writing style (though sometimes it can't be helped!)...

Btw, for the above passage:

In green = added/ substituted words
In grey = omitted words

Spelling issues/ typos have been corrected.
ID* - 01/08/2008 07:06 AM
both
Quote:
Original Posted By boladela
So is the purpose of this thread solely to improve one's writing grammar-wise, or would you include improvisations in style, etc? Because what I'd do is mostly edit the vocab/ grammar; not so much on altering the writing style (though sometimes it can't be helped!)...

In grey = omitted words

not just grammar-wise but also improvisations to make the writing more readable and concise yet coherent.
I think for the above corrections, u leaned towards the grammatical aspect,
why not include both factors and try it again? D
boladela - 01/08/2008 07:37 AM

Ah, I see...Probably next time then ;)
khaz64 - 01/08/2008 08:30 AM

Quote:

Why? Can't stand smart-alecks correcting your every other sentences? D

Hehehe. Writing and re writing is part of the whole writing process and as such, corrections are to be expected. Actually, reading through what you have here reminds of the torture I've had to endure during my "previous life", i.e. the arduous task of reading students' unfathomable, and sometimes amusing writing. Imagine trying to make sense ( and correcting ) 30 or more pieces of mind-boggling sentence construction attempts. Hahahaha.
Students, be appreciative of what your teachers are having to go through. beer:
In the meantime, keep on working. I'll chip in when I can although I have a rather limited grasp of Bahasa Indonesia and this severely limits my participation here.
khaz64 - 01/08/2008 08:38 AM

Quote:
The ultimate challenge would be to speak in a foreign language and use idioms of that language.

For instance:

I may be speaking about high-speed trains. And I'd perhaps blurt out a sentence like this:

Yes, I know that cities A and B are only 100 miles apart, as the crow flies. However, we're talking trains here, not crows. You need to follow the nap of the earth, because a train can't climb slopes steeper than 4% grade. Why, at 3% grade most trains would be as fast as molasses.

How do you translate "as the crow flies" and "as fast as molasses" into Indonesian? Or, to be precise, how can you arrive at the idioms "as the crow flies" and "as fast as molasses" from Indonesian?

You simply can't. There *are* parallels, but those parallels would likely throw you off-track; it would be very unlikely for you to 'stumble' upon those two idioms if you do a straightforward translation (or transliteration) in your head.

Students of the English Language who are learning the language in an environment where English is not the first language can only expect to achieve a certain level of proficiency. A "native speaker" level can only be achieved if the student has spent some time in a country where English is spoken as the first language. Culture is the component of the language that is missing in this case. I remember having to expose my former students to some components of culture in an attempt to make them understand certain phrases used.
TheRealHandsome - 01/08/2008 08:57 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By khaz64
Hehehe. Writing and re writing is part of the whole writing process and as such, corrections are to be expected. Actually, reading through what you have here reminds of the torture I've had to endure during my "previous life", i.e. the arduous task of reading students' unfathomable, and sometimes amusing writing. Imagine trying to make sense ( and correcting ) 30 or more pieces of mind-boggling sentence construction attempts. Hahahaha.
Students, be appreciative of what your teachers are having to go through. beer:
In the meantime, keep on working. I'll chip in when I can although I have a rather limited grasp of Bahasa Indonesia and this severely limits my participation here.

Well, you're always welcome to share your wisdom on mastering English in this thread:

Let's Discuss: How to Improve One's English

See you there, Like Real Soon™ \)
adirandom - 01/08/2008 10:56 AM

Quote:
I get your drift, pal.

oh man, i love you. don;t get me wrong, but we have the exact same point of view. i was hoping that i could have discussion about english in English forum to improve my english skill. i was wrong, it's all about some not-so-useful discussions such as games, puzzle, 3 chain words, bla bla bla. sooo not important.

@ID, im sorry bro. it's true! this is one of the best threads in english forum that people should actually enter. don't worry that it's gonna be out of topic. what we talk about merely based on the previous writings. when we're done with one topic about grammar, i guess people will have their writing revised by others the way this thread is intended. i mean,...... i was thinking about having a bunch of my writings from my college revised here!!!

let's not make this thread boring and all-about-revision. besides, when it comes to revising writings, it's most likely that we're gonna talk about grammar, eventually....right?

wait a minute. there's gays thread? OMG....whatta??? oh people come on!!!
adirandom - 01/08/2008 11:04 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By boladela

In grey = omitted words

way to go sis!!! you're da best! i like the way you correct people's writings. i think you were just being humble when you said you were not an english teacher the other day. and that guy, Therealhandsome (a not-so-humble id i guess) is also great in english. i wish i could talk to you guys. O my god. i really need to find someone to speak english with!! four centuries i've waited for this!!
TheRealHandsome - 01/08/2008 02:13 PM

Quote:
oh man, i love you. don;t get me wrong, but we have the exact same point of view. i was hoping that i could have discussion about english in English forum to improve my english skill. i was wrong, it's all about some not-so-useful discussions such as games, puzzle, 3 chain words, bla bla bla. sooo not important.

@ID, im sorry bro. it's true! this is one of the best threads in english forum that people should actually enter. don't worry that it's gonna be out of topic. what we talk about merely based on the previous writings. when we're done with one topic about grammar, i guess people will have their writing revised by others the way this thread is intended. i mean,...... i was thinking about having a bunch of my writings from my college revised here!!!

let's not make this thread boring and all-about-revision. besides, when it comes to revising writings, it's most likely that we're gonna talk about grammar, eventually....right?

Well, go to this thread, then: Let's Discuss: How to Improve One's English

Quote:
wait a minute. there's gays thread? OMG....whatta??? oh people come on!!!

Actually, the official term is LBGT D

Quote:
Therealhandsome (a not-so-humble id i guess)

What's wrong with flaunting one's handsomeness o

Quote:
i wish i could talk to you guys. O my god. i really need to find someone to speak english with!! four centuries i've waited for this!!

Kewl! A gathering? \)
khaz64 - 01/08/2008 04:11 PM

Quote:
four centuries i've waited for this!!

confused:

Dude, how old are you?
TheRealHandsome - 01/08/2008 04:15 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By khaz64
confused:

Dude, how old are you?

He's a vampire, like me o

Um, ID*, sorry for making this thread OOT... again... p

Please continue o
khaz64 - 01/08/2008 11:43 PM

Quote:
He's a vampire, like me o

Um, ID*, sorry for making this thread OOT... again... p

Please continue o

Unless that is true, I think what was meant to be said was... " I have been waiting for ages...."
Page 5 of 161 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > [Writing] Improve your writing, get it revised by others