ENGLISH
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > [Writing] Improve your writing, get it revised by others
Total Views: 93507 Share : Facebook ShareFacebook Twitter ShareTwitter Google+ ShareGoogle+
Page 6 of 161 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >  Last ›

khaz64 - 01/08/2008 11:48 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By TheRealHandsome
grammar is not flexible...

... but vocabulary is \)

Yes. If you don't know "assistance", use "help" instead. After all, when you're in trouble, you do shout "help" don't you?
ID* - 02/08/2008 01:10 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By adirandom
oh man, i love you. don;t get me wrong, but we have the exact same point of view. i was hoping that i could have discussion about english in English forum to improve my english skill. i was wrong, it's all about some not-so-useful discussions such as games, puzzle, 3 chain words, bla bla bla. sooo not important.

@ID, im sorry bro. it's true! this is one of the best threads in english forum that people should actually enter. don't worry that it's gonna be out of topic. what we talk about merely based on the previous writings. when we're done with one topic about grammar, i guess people will have their writing revised by others the way this thread is intended. i mean,...... i was thinking about having a bunch of my writings from my college revised here!!!

let's not make this thread boring and all-about-revision. besides, when it comes to revising writings, it's most likely that we're gonna talk about grammar, eventually....right?

wait a minute. there's gays thread? OMG....whatta??? oh people come on!!!

why dont u post yr college essays? thats the point of this thread.
nah i dun think u got my drift m8.
there's a separate forum for your jabberwocky.
nt just grammar, but writing consist of a variety of factors.
grmmr and the usage of words, and clarity of the written piece in general.
in short, it has more to it. thats what i meant.
anyway, nuf of my jibberish. continue with the revision guys.
\)
adirandom - 02/08/2008 03:10 AM

I will. I'm still looking for those writings. I forgot where i put them. it was a long time ago. but i will.
adirandom - 02/08/2008 03:14 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By khaz64
Hehehe. Writing and re writing is part of the whole writing process and as such, corrections are to be expected. Actually, reading through what you have here reminds of the torture I've had to endure during my "previous life", i.e. the arduous task of reading students' unfathomable, and sometimes amusing writing. Imagine trying to make sense ( and correcting ) 30 or more pieces of mind-boggling sentence construction attempts. Hahahaha.
Students, be appreciative of what your teachers are having to go through. beer:
In the meantime, keep on working. I'll chip in when I can although I have a rather limited grasp of Bahasa Indonesia and this severely limits my participation here.

you're not indonesian? great!!! another reason why i should always be in this thread. there's so many things i want to talk about with native speakers.
adirandom - 02/08/2008 03:19 AM

Quote:
Well, go to this thread, then: Let's Discuss: How to Improve One's English

Actually, the official term is LBGT D

What's wrong with flaunting one's handsomeness o

Kewl! A gathering? \)

one's handsomeness......nothing's wrong about flaunting one's handsomeness....if you refer the word one to someone else but you...hahahaha

a gathering? hmm. i somehow always associate the word "gathering" with witchcraft and wizardry.. it sounds so....i cannot explain it.
adirandom - 02/08/2008 03:23 AM

Quote:
confused:

Dude, how old are you?

only god who knows how old i am.
adirandom - 02/08/2008 03:24 AM

Quote:
He's a vampire, like me o

Um, ID*, sorry for making this thread OOT... again... p

Please continue o

oh relax, we're just making this thread fun. Im planning to put my essays in here.
adirandom - 02/08/2008 03:26 AM

Quote:
Unless that is true, I think what was meant to be said was... " I have been waiting for ages...."

how dare you? I am the most powerful wizard of all time....bmhuhahahahahahaha.

no, when I said "four centuries".. i meant "four centuries" bmhuhahahahaha. don't correct me if you do not wish to turn into a frog hahahaha.
TheRealHandsome - 02/08/2008 04:27 AM

Quote:

no, when I said "four centuries".. i meant "four centuries" bmhuhahahahaha. don't correct me if you do not wish to turn into a frog hahahaha.

I sincerely am concerned about your mental wellbeing... not! D

Peace:
d4n4n9 - 02/08/2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

so you don`t know ? may be you are sick and need psychiatric for some helps.

don`t take it serious bro, i just relaxing my colded hands D
Rising Flames - 02/08/2008 11:00 AM

Quote:

you're implying that you're already wrong here..
adirandom - 02/08/2008 11:43 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By Rising Flames
you're implying that you're already wrong here..

first, it's a joke!
second! "correct" here refers to the other thing, something about me saying four centuries!
Rising Flames - 02/08/2008 03:11 PM

Quote:
first, it's a joke!
second! "correct" here refers to the other thing, something about me saying four centuries!

hey, i know you were joking, i just typed as if i took it seriously, since i was a bit lazy to type with some life before \)
rein110 - 02/08/2008 07:17 PM

grammar is overrated \)

listen to this lol (no worries, just sound, so only small load time) I urges everyone to listen p

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/83462

if one can understand that, well.. guess his english is ok p if one can actually 'feel' its weirdness, then its better.
funkyangels - 02/08/2008 08:15 PM

hi, newbie just want to participate in this thread
hope all of you don't mind about that

here the essay...

There are a number of alternative options to address cost reduction focusing on employee conditions (Human Resources Magazine, 2003, p.6). Since all people in a company are affected by the implementation of money-saving strategies, “alternative placement” allows a company to transfer their employees to other companies or branches (where possible) in the same position as a way to reduce cost. Another alternative strategy could be to reduce all employees’ wages based on percentages or to reduce the total number of hours worked by employees and to divide the work between them. A company needs to consider what types of employees are suitable for a company. The employer must be careful to select the employee skills base and the level of competencies which best suit the company in these changed conditions.

Sorry just 1 par, since it would be too much if I post all here.
please kindly look at it then let me know, how it should be \)
FrozenFlame - 03/08/2008 04:12 AM

Quote:
Original Posted By funkyangels

I will quick-scan this briefly,.. please help this guy ^^, I'm too sleepy now..ngacir:

Here is the essay...

There are a number of alternative options to address cost reduction focused on employee conditions [ welfare ? ] (Human Resources Magazine, 2003, p.6). Companies are to transfer their employees out due to money-saving strategy( or policy ). [ since all people in a company is implied here ].This strategy will require some employees to be transferred to other companies or branches.
========
Another alternative strategy could be to reduce all employees’ wages based on percentages or to reduce the total work hours [ of hours worked by employees is implied here ] and divide the work load.

Companies are to consider which type of employees are desirable. Thus, the employer are to be careful selecting [ or specifically screening ] the level of employee skills and competencies which is best suited to the company in these ever-changing conditions.

ERmmm.. that's my 'own revision' \). o I'm sleeping now ! Good night and good luck ! \)

Quote:
one's handsomeness......nothing's wrong about flaunting one's handsomeness....if you refer the word one to someone else but you...hahahaha

a gathering? hmm. i somehow always associate the word "gathering" with witchcraft and wizardry.. it sounds so....i cannot explain it.

Magic the Gathering ? o
Hail to handsomeness ! o and cuteness of course genit:
Quote:

If only God knows how old you are, then you yourself wouldn't know your age ;p lol
ID* - 03/08/2008 05:49 AM

care to share? D

here's an excerpt from somewhere. feel free to criticize/review/revise/whatever you want to do with it \)

Whatever we do, we are exposed to some kind of ominous event that is unpredictable. The idea of unpredictability and danger could be described in one word, Risk. An individual approaching an opposite sex to get that person’s mobile number or taking a walk down a run-down neighborhood would be considered as not a very intelligent act, though it may differ in viewpoints depending on the mindset of an individual. Interestingly, those daily activities are akin to the act of investors when they decide or plan to make an investment. Those particular activities or any human activities that occur in our daily life are doors to danger, or in other words, risk. However, risk in terms of human activities slightly differs from the equivalent term used in economics or finance. Oxford Dictionary of Economics defines Risk as “the form of uncertainty where, while the actual outcome of an action is not known, it is expected that it will be determined as the result of a random drawing from a set of possible outcomes whose distribution is known. Where this information is supposed to come from is usually not discussed.” Risk is ubiquitous, as it is invisibly carved into any possible action you can imagine. In short, risk means the potential loss of future value or deviation from the expected.
adirandom - 03/08/2008 06:16 PM

Quote:
Original Posted By funkyangels
hi, newbie just want to participate in this thread
hope all of you don't mind about that

here the essay...

There are a number of alternative options to address cost reduction focusing on employee conditions (Human Resources Magazine, 2003, p.6). Since all people in a company are affected by the implementation of money-saving strategies, “alternative placement” allows a company to transfer their employees to other companies or branches (where possible) in the same position as a way to reduce cost. Another alternative strategy could be to reduce all employees’ wages based on percentages or to reduce the total number of hours worked by employees and to divide the work between them. A company needs to consider what types of employees are suitable for a company. The employer must be careful to select the employee skills base and the level of competence which best suit the company in these changed conditions.

There is a number of alternative options to address cost reduction focusing on employee conditions (Human Resources Magazine, 2003, p.6). Since all people in a company are affected by the implementation of money-saving strategies, “alternative placement” allows a company to transfer its employees to other companies or branches (where possible) in the same position as a way to reduce cost. Another alternative strategy could be to reduce all employees’ wages based on percentages or to reduce the total number of their working hours and to divide the work between them. A company needs to consider what types of employees are suitable for a company. The employer must be concerned with the employees' skills and their level of competence in order to decide which employees best suit the company in these changed conditions.

-There area number of alternative options = the noun here is "number" not options. The proper to be should be "is". It's like "There isa father of four sons."
-allows a company to transfer their employees = the subject is singular. so it's supposed to be "it".
-total number of hours worked by employees = i've never heard anything like this before. it sounds odd. I think the verb "work" doesn't have a proper example of passive form.
-be careful to select the employee skills base and the level of competence = i think your version is confusing.
FrozenFlame - 04/08/2008 08:48 PM

Quote:
There is a number of alternative options to address cost reduction focusing on employee conditions (Human Resources Magazine, 2003, p.6). Since all people in a company are affected by the implementation of money-saving strategies, “alternative placement” allows a company to transfer its employees to other companies or branches (where possible) in the same position as a way to reduce cost. Another alternative strategy could be to reduce all employees’ wages based on percentages or to reduce the total number of their working hours and to divide the work between them. A company needs to consider what types of employees are suitable for a company. The employer must be concerned with the employees' skills and their level of competence in order to decide which employees best suit the company in these changed conditions.

-There area number of alternative options = the noun here is "number" not options. The proper to be should be "is". It's like "There isa father of four sons."
-allows a company to transfer their employees = the subject is singular. so it's supposed to be "it".
-total number of hours worked by employees = i've never heard anything like this before. it sounds odd. I think the verb "work" doesn't have a proper example of passive form.
-be careful to select the employee skills base and the level of competence = i think your version is confusing.

===========
I want to comment a bit here \)
There are a number of alternative options = the noun here is "number" not options. The proper to be should be "is". It's like "There isa father of four sons.
===========
I consulted the dictionary here and see this what a number means :: [ the fact is a bit different, you can't "similarize" a similar pattern of sentence to fit into another ! ]
[based on Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary page 793 see yourself there \) ]
[ 3rd meaning ] ( sing or plural in form; always taking a plural verb when preceded by a/an)
So the sentence : There are a number of alternative options is OK. The sentence "There is a father of four sons is OK too. It's either way, but the meaning is different.
Here, the first sentence, "There are a number of alternative options" means "There are a LOT, I mean, many MANY options". It denotes the 'plural form'.
Meanwhile, the 2nd sentence "There is a father of four sons" means "There is a father who has four sons". A number of could mean many, and a number of in this case IS inseparable.
squall_l - 05/08/2008 12:21 AM
heloo all
hi:helloo...i'm new join in english thread..sory if my english is not too fluently...
let me introduce myself 1st..my name is gulardi
now im school at tarumanagara university semester 9..
i hope you're all willing to have some chat,coz i want develop my english too...ok??
Page 6 of 161 |  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >  Last ›
Home > CASCISCUS > ENGLISH > [Writing] Improve your writing, get it revised by others